Re: [SLUG] mysql

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 17:32:19 EST

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Diego Henao wrote:

> hi everybody,
>
> Does anyone knows a good manual or tutorial that explains to you
> in a easy way how to set up and use it?.

I got MySQL to do what I needed by reading this:

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/

> I am using webmin, and I tried to change the login and the password for
>the administrator, but I have been unsuccessful.

I wouldn't count on being able to make MySQL work with webmin. There are
some other front-ends, but the built-in command line utilities seem to
work better.

> The bottom line here is that I cannot read the normal tutorials because
> they assume you are going to compile the package using the different
> options, but that's not my case.

The documentation at the URL above isn't like that. It is a lot of
documentation, and you probably have more than just a couple hours of
reading ahead of you, but it isn't as bad as it looks at first. Chapter 1
is history and background. Might be worthwhile to read. Chapter 2 is
install and compile info. Since you already have it installed, you can
probably just skim that, and skip the sections on BSD, Windows, etc.
Chapter 3 is where the meat starts. You're going to need to read chapter
3; that's where the tutorial really gets going. You're going to need
chapter 4, database administration, also. Pay particular attention to
anything they say about security. It is really easy to blow security wide
open on your MySQL db. Unless you're setting up for heavy-duty stuff you
can probably just skim chapter 5 on optimization. If you don't know much
about SQL you'll probably be briefly looking up things and bouncing in
and out of chapter 6, but maybe not so much if you're using some canned
package. Chapter 7, on table types, will be critical if you are designing
the database yourself, but again, some canned packages, such as php-based
discussion boards, come with scripts to handle much of it for you. The
appendix on common problems is good. The last two appendices are indexes
and are very useful for looking up things.

Good luck!

Greg