[SLUG] Setup gateway

From: TheExploited (chinvi@streamyx.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 10:21:57 EST

Gr33tings,
         I'm kinda new to *nix and i wanna setup one of my home computer to
be the gateway and dhcp server.Where would be a good start?I have a hub and
no routers and from what i understand if i have a router , i woudldn't need
to configure my box to be a dhcp server as the router could perform dhcp
routing is this true?and i have yet another question which is not really a
linux question.
How do isps resolve ips ?
for example if you have a domain registered(slug1.net) with domain
registration company 1
then someone registers another domain (slug2.net) with domain registration
company 2
does this mean that company 1 and company 2 has to submit their DNS server
ip to your isp so that each time when a isp clients browser asks for
slug1.net or slug2.net it will refer to both company 1 and company 2's
server to resolve the ip address?I'm not sure if i'm getting this right.Can
someone pls clarify this with me.Links to rfc's will be most appreciated.

Victor