Re: [SLUG] Setup gateway

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 19:46:53 EST

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 11:21:57PM +0800, TheExploited wrote:

> Gr33tings,
> I'm kinda new to *nix and i wanna setup one of my home computer to
> be the gateway and dhcp server.Where would be a good start?I have a hub and
> no routers and from what i understand if i have a router , i woudldn't need
> to configure my box to be a dhcp server as the router could perform dhcp
> routing is this true?and i have yet another question which is not really a
> linux question.
> How do isps resolve ips ?
> for example if you have a domain registered(slug1.net) with domain
> registration company 1
> then someone registers another domain (slug2.net) with domain registration
> company 2
> does this mean that company 1 and company 2 has to submit their DNS server
> ip to your isp so that each time when a isp clients browser asks for
> slug1.net or slug2.net it will refer to both company 1 and company 2's
> server to resolve the ip address?I'm not sure if i'm getting this right.Can
> someone pls clarify this with me.Links to rfc's will be most appreciated.

Registrars only register names; they don't resolve them for internet
surfers. This is my understanding: There are "root" servers for the
various TLDs (Top Level Domains, like .com, .net, etc.). Theoretically,
when you surf, your request for translation of a name to an IP goes to
the root servers. They say, "I don't know that domain, but here's who
does." The request gets passed on to the next server, which does the
same thing until you hit a server that actually knows the IP for that
address, which theoretically will be the nameserver for that IP. All
this is theoretical, though, because nameservers cache information.
For one thing, there are normally two nameservers which are
authoritative for an address-- you have to supply them when you register
your name. More important, though, nameservers cache information. Which
means that it's entirely possible that when you ask _your_ nameserver
(at your ISP) for the IP for slug1.net, it may have the information
cached, and the query never needs to go beyond that.

None of this should affect your local configuration. Typically, you'd
set up a firewall or router which runs a DHCP client. When you get
online, a query is made to your ISP for an IP address by your DHCP
client. Once you get that IP address, you're off and running.

HTH,

Paul