Re: [SLUG] linux angst in the workplace

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 14:29:50 EST

On Thursday 19 December 2002 12:25, Matthew Walker wrote:
> I am wondering if any fellow linux users/admins out
> there are experiencing an intolerance for linux in
> their workplaces - as a workstation or infrastructure
> component?

No. Try not to work for such companies ;)

Actually, we have quite the opposite problem here. In fact, I'm the only
person actively *willing* to deal with the Microsoft headache. Not that I
*want* to, rather that *someone* has to.

> I sure as hell am.

Education is the foundation of enlightened thinking. You may have some
teaching ahead of you.

> If so, what are you doing to combat such things? Are
> you slowly working your way in, (my wife tells me that
> I can catch more flies with honey), or did you
> overcome said ignorance by isntalling a dual-boot and
> risking termination? Assuming that the earlier
> scenario is common, what are some arguments that you
> make to people that simply don't grasp computing
> enough to truly understand that a linux workstation is
> a more productive tool than an MS environment?

For most customers, we offer a managed service product. The customer typically
does not CARE what goes on inside the engine as long as the solution works.
Unfortunately, this doesn't work well when you're building/maintaining
enterprise-wide systems that have been dictated to be purely a monolithic
environment.

The old adage of "putting all of your eggs in one basket" would fit your
current situation well. You're only one common windows exploit away from a
network of lobotomized servers. Sometimes variety can help people think
outside the box and really consider alternatives. If you work for a company
where this isn't true, I can only suggest that you seriously consider
floating your resume elsewhere and try your best to educate people without
getting yourself fired.

Stress the cost of Microsoft licensing, the number of admins/machine needed to
keep a Windows network running, and the availablity/uptime of Linux servers.
If nothing else, the mean time between reboots put into a nice graph might
appease most pointy haired boss types.

> Currently, I am using cygwin for the sake of sanity.

Even cygwin has its limit on sanity. Between cygwin, sysinternals, and the
resource kit tools, it's taken me far too long to build an environment that
truely makes management of win32 boxen bearable.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)