Re: [SLUG] Questions about laptop batteries

From: Vernon (vsingleton@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 08:48:22 EST

Matt wrote:

>Here is a test of the battery life, 98% is the highest apm will show so
>I started from there:
>
>Fri Jan 3 00:10:30 EST 2003
>AC off-line, battery status high: 98%

>Fri Jan 3 00:36:17 EST 2003
>AC off-line, battery status high: 89% (3:23)
>
>Fri Jan 3 00:40:01 EST 2003
>AC off-line, battery status critical: 5% (0:11)
>
>Anyone have any clue? This is making me think it's not the battery...

This is a very complicated thing that you're attempting to track.
What exactly is "battery status"?
You'll find that the answer to that question is not trivial, and the
complete answer is never
98%, 96%, 94%, 91%, 89%, 5%, and cannot be described by a single integer.

The software and circuitry you have been given is not good enough to
maximize your
battery's life, much less, accurately measure the "battery status".

Vernon Singleton