Re: [SLUG] hard drive install

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 17:19:00 EST

On Thursday 30 January 2003 16:30, Rock wrote:
> I am trying to install an Maxtor Diamond Max Plus Ultra ATA/133
> 80 GB ide hard drive in my IBM Netfinity 3000. If I set it up as
> a master the bios will recognize it and let me set it up but when
> the system boots it bypasses all the scsi drives and says there
> is not boot drive available. It is trying to boot from the ide
> drive and not from the scsi drive where the boot drive is
> located.
>
> If I use it as a slave, the bios does not see it at all and I
> cannot set it up. And Linux does not see the 'hda' drive either
> from fdisk.

There are a couple of things that can "go wrong".

First you need to tell your BIOS to boot off the SCSI controller.
If your drive is not visible to the BIOS don't bother to boot.

At that point you have probably conflicting ID's between your CDROM
or another drive.

Your IDE has a jumper which tells the controller if it is:
A) The only (IDE) drive
B) The first of two, and
C) The second drive

Usually they ship as A. The drive usually have a drawing on it
reflecting how to configure the ID with the jumper.

Of course there are two channels each able to hold two drives, so
you should probably start with the primary interface. This would
then become hda, the second is hdb. The first drive on the second
channel is hdc and finally hdd is the second drive on the secondary
interface.

This should clear it up, let me know if you still are having
problems.

--

Steve ______________________________________________________ (This sig has been left open for your imagination.)