Re: [SLUG] hard drive install

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 00:28:13 EST

Apologies in advance if this is under your level of
expertise. Here are a few things to look at.

IBM has always had a bit limited options in its bios,
but boot order is important. Also, most bioses have a
setting to give priority to either the IDE or SCSI
interface. If not it may that drive 0 Chanel A needs
to be set manually to "not installed". Some SCSI
implementations are quirky with this.. trial and error
discovers it.

Next make sure the drives are jumpered right... my
suggetions.. if possible get it to work on drive 1
Chanel A or drive 0 Chanel B. Slave or Master
respesctively.

If all this checks out and you're running Linux ..
well I have read that Linux bypasses most of the
settings in the Bios and does this in its kernel INIT
code.. not real sure about that, but worth a look.
Check LILO or Grub or whatever your loader is to see
that the Boot dev has not been bumped to another
designation.

Hope this helps.