RE: [SLUG] rsh permission issue

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 15:05:01 EST

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 11:19, Rock wrote:
> Rsh is turned on in both boxes. I have even removed rsh and rsh-server
> and reinstalled both boxes and I still have the same issue. One side
> refuses permissions. Everything else looks the same: permissions on
> files and home directory. The password and group files appear to have
> the same login information.
>
> Is there a daemon that is supposed to be running? The man pages do not
> indicate that.

As per the rsh-server (for RH 8.0) rpm listing on rpmfind.net:

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/redhat/8.0/i386/rsh-server-0.17-10.i386.html

The following files are included with rsh-server:

/etc/pam.d/rexec
/etc/pam.d/rlogin
/etc/pam.d/rsh
/etc/xinetd.d/rexec
/etc/xinetd.d/rlogin
/etc/xinetd.d/rsh
/usr/sbin/in.rexecd
/usr/sbin/in.rlogind
/usr/sbin/in.rshd
/usr/share/man/man8/in.rexecd.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/in.rlogind.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/in.rshd.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/rexecd.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/rlogind.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/rshd.8.gz

As you can see, there are /etc/xinetd.d/rlogin and /etc/xinetd.d/rsh;
make sure both are enabled on both boxes. Both are spawned by the xinetd
superdaemon. There are daemons included as well --
/usr/sbin/in.rlogind, /usr/sbin/in.rshd, and /usr/sbin/in.rexecd which
in turn are spawned by xinetd when a request is made to one of these
services.

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- An improperly trained Samurai dies quickly.