Re: [SLUG] Linux Training

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Sat Feb 08 2003 - 17:07:54 EST

My only caveat to live Linux training would be remuneration. Talented folks
that take the time to try and train others simply do not wish to do this over
and over again. New students appear, lessons are retaught - the effort never
ends. This repeated effort deserves compensation.

One-time lessons that are recorded for posterity make more sense (perhaps with
a lucky live audience of students). A guest presenter may make the time to
give a presentation (just as at a SLUG meeting). Those who can make it will
benefit from being able to ask questions.

The true benefit of having an Online training system is CAPTURING THE LESSON
for later playback. Having presentations at meetings has always seemed a bit
sad to me: only those at the meeting may benefit. The real goal should be to
build a knowledge base that may be tapped in the future on demand by students
everywhere.

I'm really thinking about VNC/ogg recording my UML presentation for folks to
enjoy online afterward. It would be nice to get VNCReflector going to make it
truely live.. but simply capturing it seems more important to me.

- - Ian

On Saturday 08 February 2003 08:10, Michael C Rock wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Maybe you would like to get in touch with Ian. The two of you could
> formalize the type and nature that the training should take. I like
> your ideas as well as Ian's. I will continue with the body of the
> information since the technical side is beyond my abilities at this
> point.
>
> Small steps will keep this on track.
>
> On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 08:06, Frank Robers _ SOTL wrote:
> > A few thoughts on SLUG and Linux Training
> >
> > Judging from the diverse interest of this group,
> > the diverse locations in which participations in a like minded would
> > physically come from,
> > and the diverse hours that each participate would be available
> > it may be better to conduct such training on line in a news format.
> >
> > This would allow several major advantages.
> > 1. People could participate when the has the time.
> > 2. No physical space would be required and no travel would be required.
> > 3. Training could be done on this form with out undue increase in traffic
> > volume or a separate web site strictly devoted to training could be
> > initiated.
> > 4. If an online training program were to be organized then it would
> > almost have to be a monitored and directed site. That being said several
> > training sessions could go on simultaneously on a full or part time bases
> > on the same news site.
> > 5. Other linux groups could be notified and ask to participate.
> > 6. The format could be open form like this list or closed format where
> > only the guru (Aka trainer) would be allowed to post.
> > 7. Training could go on a number of technical levels simultaneously -
> > from beginner to advanced.
> > 8. A web site could be maintained with the training classes for years
> > without active addition participation after the completion of the initial
> > session.
> >
> > If linux on line training were undertaken one method of doing this would
> > be to have one person as director of training whose sole job would be to
> > arrange for tutors (Aka Trainers). Since coordination is a full time part
> > time job others could be responsible for the actual training.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Frank

- --
- - Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>