Re: [SLUG] Remote X

From: John (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 15:13:04 EST

On 11 Feb 2003 14:22:35 -0500, Kwan Lowe wrote:

-> Login to your first machine, Alpha, with the KDE desktop.
->
-> Open a terminal window.
->
-> In the terminal type:
-> xhost +omega
->
-> ssh -X john@omega
->
-> Note that the 'X' is case sensitive. Using a 'x' will
*disable* X11
-> forwarding.
->
-> Enter your password.
->
-> In the terminal session try:
->
-> xclock &
->
-> This should launch the xclock program, running on Omega with
the display
-> on Alpha.

Perfect, that works great! It really helps me get a little more
perspective--all I've been able to do so far is text-mode
remote.

At this point, the xclock app is writing to the X server on
alpha, and everybody is using display alpha:0.0, right? At some
point, I would like to get the complete desktop environment from
the remote machine, and be able to switch between displays.

I see that Ryland has posted something to the list, so I'll go
check it. I just wanted to let you know that the X-forwarding
via ssh worked!

John