Re: [SLUG] Remote X

From: Ryland Bingham (ryland@t3t.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 14:23:05 EST

For whatever reason RH 8 uses GDM by default even if your running a KDE
destop. To get a Graphical login to another machine you must:

1. On the machine you want to access, edit /etc/Xll/gdm/gdm.conf and
look for the xdmcp section. In that section "Enable" should be set to
"1". You can then either restart the computer or run "pkill gdm" as
root user.

2. Switch to a text console (ctrl-alt-F2), login and type:

X -query IPofHostComputer :1

(where IPofHostComputer is the IP or hostname of the machine you made
the change to in step 1.)

This should startup a second X display with a GDM login for the other
computer, provided you are not blocking access with RH's build in
IPTABLES firewall.

2. On the remote computer

--
Ryland Bingham <ryland@t3t.com>