Re: [SLUG] Remote X

From: John (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 16:26:20 EST

On 11 Feb 2003 14:23:05 -0500, Ryland Bingham wrote:

-> 2. Switch to a text console (ctrl-alt-F2), login and type:
->
-> X -query IPofHostComputer :1

Just trying to learn what's happening. Am I correct in thinking
that you told me to use ctrl-alt-F2 in order to go to virtual
console #2, because console #1 is "linked" or "belongs to" the
graphical display that I can access when I use alt-F7?

Secondly, my X -query instruction is telling the remote
application to use my local display :1 because :0 is showing the
display from alt-F7 (do you call that VC 7?) Or am I simply
using :1 because I know that this is the next available display?

Or, asking this another way, if I elected to use VC3, with
ctrl-alt-F3, would I need to use :2 in my X -query?

Sorry for all the questions.

John