[SLUG] Remote X,...Ding!!!, Round 2

From: John (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 14:40:26 EST

I was trying to use one monitor to display the graphical desktop
environments of two Linux boxes.

As I posted here yesterday, I got this far:

-> Ok, what I get is a whole screen full of stuff, but I think
the
-> important things are these:
->
-> =================================
-> (EE)GARTInit: AGPIOC_INFO failed (invalid argument)
->
-> (EE)I810(0): AGP GART support is not available. Make sure
your
-> kernal has agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel module
is
-> loaded.
->
-> (EE)Screen(s) found, but none have usable configuration
->
-> Fatal server error
-> no screens found
-> ==========================

Since posting the above, I have done the list modules command to
confirm that the i810 and agpgart modules are loaded, as per RH8
setup.

My further research indicates that there is something about Jeff
Hartman's version of agpgart that makes it unable to support
more than one user.

There IS a solution, apparently. The answer seems to be:

Maybe get something from the DirectFB.org site

Then get something from i810fb.sourceforge.net (this is the only
thing I'm pretty sure about)

Then maybe patch the kernel (with some patches from sourceforge)

Then maybe compile the video thing from Sourceforge.

I dunno. I can't even figure out WHAT to download, let alone
what I should do with it. This is some real heavy-duty stuff.

To make it even harder, I'm only finding two levels of
documentation on sourceforge, for this i810fb thing. It's like
asking what time it is, and you either get: Same time as 24
hours ago (for example, "Install as usual"), OR you get
instructions of how to build a watch.<sigh>

Is there anybody on this list that would know enough, and be
willing to share the info, about GART and Direct Frame Buffers
to tell me what specific pieces I need to download?

John