Re: [SLUG] Samba madness

From: Patrick Grantham \(at work\) (pwgrant@cssi-fl.com)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 09:44:15 EST

Comparing to my samba.conf I note the following differences:
[global]
# I don't have:
    encrypt passwords=yes
#I have also implemented the M$ registry key to plain text passwords on the
clients.

# You don't, but I have:
    lm announce=true
    domain logons = yes
    domain master=true
    preferred master = yes
    wins support = yes
    unix password sync = yes

On my clients I have the samba server IP in the M$ WINS settings and an
entry in the clients host file with the samba server's netbios host name and
IP.

Depending on your version and if you have swat installed you may be able to
fiddle around with settings and see definitions of the all options:
http://aeon:901/, you will need to login as root or from a samba server
http://127.0.0.1:901/

Within the web admin you will find well organized documentation too. Swat
has been an invaluable to me, while learning the basic ins and outs. It may
be as simple as starting the services. You listed only one; there are two:
nmbd and smbd. Are they both running?

hope this helpful. Please post your eventual solution.