Re: [SLUG] vinyl conversions

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 09:09:33 EST

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Paul Swider wrote:

> I have a bunch of old LPs. And a turntable. Really. And an extra
> desktop running Mandrake. I also have a spare CD burner that I've
> never connected to the linux box. You see where I'm going.

Yes, I see where you are going...and I don't like it. :(

Enjoy the fact that you have the highest fidelity medium available to you
right now and keep your vinyl pure. :)

However, since I know you will probably rant about how it's your right to
do whatever you want and you can't take vinyl in the car (or some other
poop)... ;)

You need to get your mits on a preamp-out. Maybe your receiver has one or
maybe you already have a component system with a preamplifier, but that's
where you start. Don't use the signal directly from the turntable,
because it needs to be fed through a phono module first. (Some all-in-one
systems may already have this built it.)

At any rate, it's a simple matter of connecting the preamp-out to your
soundcard and recording from there. (I said the connection was the simple
matter.) I dunno of any recording software as I've never really tried to
do something like that, but it can't be all that hard to find.

So, there's my piece of the puzzle. Make sure your signal is going
through a phono module (like you would find in a receiver or preamplifier)
and then connect the preamp-out to your soundcard.

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com