[SLUG] problems with e2fsck

From: Matthew Walker (mwalker_web@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 19:28:36 EST

Evening. An ext2 fs on my wife's suse machine has
decided to become rather stupid. Upon booting, errors
are found with the fs and fschk is recommended. So far
so good. The issue is with e2fsck upon reading my
inodes/block for that particular fs. stdout reports
things like:

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete
Error}

It proceeds to then complain about a particular block:

Error reading block 65610 (Attempt to read block from
filesystem resulted in shortread) while doing inode
scan. Ignore Error?

Upon specifying 'n', e2fsck exits. In other attempts
to resolve this, I have told e2fsck to ignore the
error, and it carries on about its way checking the fs
and then exits without error. This doesn't fix much
though as I am no better off upon recycling.

I am assuming that there is not an error with the
device since I can boot into a fat32 fs which is also
on the hdd. Is this a corrupt ext2 fs that I have? Was
booting fine last night.

Thanks.

-Matt