Re: [SLUG] vinyl conversions

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 20:59:41 EST

Unquestionably, the correct way to "rip vinyl" is to use
(with a magnetic pickup cartridge, the standard for quality)
a "PHONO pre-amp" feeding it into the LINE input
(not the MIC input) of the sound card.
   It is equally important that the turntable + pre amp + sound card
be bonded together, grounded together, (the computer case will
provide the actual ground) BEFORE connecting the three together
and turning them on. This will reduce the posibility of loose
AC power destroying anything and is usually necessary to keep
hum under control.

   The "PHONO pre-amp" is REQUIRED because L.P.s have excessive
high frequencies recorded in, so the "PHONO pre-amp" will "turn
the trebble down (at the propper frequencies) to compensate for it,
which recuces the hiss in the reproduced sound. (RIAA equalization!)
   I like sweep to edit wav files. (I use Sound Studio for some things.)
   Get a stylus microscope and expect to go through a few diamond needles.

--
        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% Slack. since July, 1997 (still free!) SENT D&T are UTC