Re: [SLUG] Copy and paste???

From: Martin C. Messer (marty@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 09:01:01 EST

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 22:05, Frank Robers _ SOTL wrote:

> The second method is the way RH, Md, and SuSE are being developed. Now realize
> here that all RH, Md, and SuSE really are is installation and configuration
> programs to Linux. They are not Linux, just the selection of programs,
> installation program and configuration program. These programs are being
> developed in the same format as MS. All things are basically keep secrete
> until a major big release is put out. Then is there are problems you can down
> load the latest updates.

I'm not sure what you mean about these distributions being "developed in
the same format as MS". Red Hat, Mandrake, and SuSE all release several
public betas (public being the key phrase) and hundreds of reviews are
written by various folks outlining the new features, missing features,
etc. So if one is so inclined, installing the beta removes any doubt as
to what's going on with the release. Or one can just read the release
coverage. No secrets here, move along. This is not the conspiracy you're
looking for.

> What does this have to do with this? Simple each time a major distribution
> comes out RH, Md and SuSE breaks about as much as they accomplish in updates.
> Thus you find the x.0 distributions full of hoes.

.0 releases are always cutting edge and less than perfect. If they were
perfect, you'd never see other point releases (.1, .2, etc.). If a .0
release does everything you need it to do, that's great. Otherwise, have
a bit of patience and all will be rectified.

> One of the things that was broken in the latest set of updates was the ability
> to connect to multiple ISP. Before there was Usernet. One could configure, as
> I did RH 6.1 through 7.3 to allow one to click an icon to connect to the net
> by means of modem or eithernet but not both at the same time. It was one or
> the other. In RH 7.3 Usernet was replaced but was still there. In RH 8.0 it
> was removed.

You're looking for redhat-control-network under Red Hat Linux 8.0:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/s1-network-config-activate.html

--
Martin C. Messer   | marty@redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.      | Information Systems & Technologies

GPG 4029BAF7 0D9C 3526 18AE ABB6 AA7A 67B5 A950 A7C8 4029 BAF7