Re: [SLUG] Copy and paste???

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 01:54:18 EST

Well Frank, I must disagree with you here. I've been off the list for
two weeks trying to get a Debian install to work on a Desktop machine
with an Nvidia chip set. Redhat installs and works just fine with this
machine. But I wrestled with Debian for two weeks and could not get X to
work. I even tried using a XF86Config-4 from a working Redhat system. I
tried installing the drivers from Nvidia. But for some reason I couldn't
compile them as the compiler I was using was not the compiler used to
compile the Kernel, so the error message said. Go figure!

I have Debian running on my IBM 760XL ThinkPad and Love it I only wish I
could get it to work on this desktop machine.
So in some cases the choice for Redhat vs. Debian maybe that Redhat
works and Debian doesn't.

I'm a little bitter with Debian at this point. Even using the factory
specs for Hz and Vert sync and the nv driver I couldn't get Debian to
work on this machine.

Mike M.