Re: [SLUG] Copy and paste???

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 19:26:15 EST

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 09:53, Matt Miller wrote:

> Did you try compiling your own kernel from source with the included
> compiler?
Yes. And Lilo wouldn't accept the bzimage that was created for some
reason, I don't remember.

> > I have Debian running on my IBM 760XL ThinkPad and Love it I only wish
> > could get it to work on this desktop machine.
> > So in some cases the choice for Redhat vs. Debian maybe that Redhat
> > works and Debian doesn't.
> >

> Are you sure Debian does not work? Or were you unable to find the best
> solution?
Well, OK Debian works (I did get command line) But Xfree didn't nor did
compiling anything (nvidia drivers and Kernel).

> > I'm a little bitter with Debian at this point. Even using the factory
> > specs for Hz and Vert sync and the nv driver I couldn't get Debian to
> > work on this machine.
>
> Did you try 'XFree86 -configure' to probe for the most appropriate
> hardware and have X write a config file for you?
Yes, a number of times. But it always wanted to run my hardware in
standard SVGA mode.

> Debian does not utilize all the auto-hardware identification that
> distros like RedHat employ on installation. As a result, Debian requires
> user intervention to fine tune things like the X configuration. I have
> installed Debian on a variety of different machines and architectures --
> some definitely harder than others, but I have yet to find a machine on
> which I could not install Debian (Dell, Compaq, HP, IBM, DG, Sun; i386,
> SPARC, PPC, etc.).
Are you saying you can get it running on my machine? I may take you up
on that:) I have the CD's

> At a fundamental level, all distros are more similar than different -- a
> Linux kernel and a bunch of common libraries and utilities. If you can
> install RedHat on your desktop, then you should be able to install
> Debian as well.
That's what I always thought, until I tried Debian on this machine.