Re: [SLUG] Hardware/processor questions

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 20:48:31 EST

This is kind of a based on which distro and what are you doing with it to
get a fair gauage of what
requirements should you use.

To get a idea check out the Linux Distro's web site to get an idea of what
they says is min and recommended.
Then use that as a starter.

If I was running Redhat 6 or older I would say Cyrix, AMD, Intel pentium
233 or better, 8 meg video card, Soundblaster 16,
4 gig drive 56k modem and a 10/100 nic with 128 megs ram. This would give
you a decent amout of resources.

Now if you are running something like Redhat 8.0 or Debian or even SuSE 8.1
then I would say 500mhz with 512 megs ram,
20 gig drive, 32 meg nVidia 2, or ATI Radeon 7000 32x cdrom - 50x 10/100
nic.

Again though this depends on what are you going to run and what do you want
to do with it.

Check the Distro's web site, and you can start between min and recommended
as a starting point. The more Ram the better.
When checking also check the HCL <- Hardware Compat Listing they have to
make the install as easy as possible by having
hardware that has been tested.

Hope that helps.
B. Preece