Re: [SLUG] RE: Verison DSL

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 12:56:23 EST

--- "Maureen L. Thomas" <elgato513@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:
> I was called by Verizon and offered DSL for 29.99 a
> month.

It is 29.99 a month for the first 3 months, and 49.99
a month after. At least that is what it was for me.
You might want to take a look at the fine print.

> Free modem

The modem is free, but you have to commit to a 9 or 12
month term for the contract. It you decide to change
or dicontinue service you would probably be charged
for the cost of the modem or ask to return it.

> and cable. All I have to do is supply the ethernet
> card.
> How easy is it to hook up for someone like myself
> who is still a
> relative newbie

It really not that hard. They supply good directions
for setting it up on one machine (windows or Mac).
For there your on your own. Here is how I have mine
setup: two client machines.. pc1 pc2 on net
192.168.1.0; one server sr1 on net 192.168.2.0; and 1
DSL gateway server. The gateway server( your Bastille
server) would use eth0 configured by DHCP for the DSL
modem connection and use eth1 to push the connection
to a switch or hub connecting how many other machines
you have. You probably already have this setup
considering your using Bastille, but since it always
an unkown when dealing with troubleshooting issue over
email, I thought I would start at the begining.
Verizon DSL does not use mac adress authentication or
PPOE or anything like that. The only thing you need
your username and password for is your email, and news
services. Any problems you have with setting up linux
can be addressed here.. I'm sure there's plenty of
people in the area that use it. All DSL issues can be
dealt with by calling their support number. For the
most part, if you have a link light on the DSL modem
your good to go... if not then you will need to talk
to Verizon and work it out.

> How hard is it to secure - I use Bastille for a
> firewall but don't have
> any of the other stuff I read about on the SLUG
> list.

All security issues with Linux can be addressed on the
list. You will get better answers if you are as
specific and detailed as you can be about what you are
trying to do.

>Can I turn my
> machine off on the two days that I work, and if I
> can will I have to
> reset anything to get it to work. I'm using
> Mandrake 9.0 on an AMD 850
> Duron.

After your network and DSL connection is set up you
will be able to turn your client machine off anytime
you like and back on. You can also turn your gateway
on and off... as long as you are not running a server
it will not matter. The important thing is to get it
setup right. Once you have that, everything else is a
piece of cake.

> Is Verizon DSL any good. I had there dial up until
> they had so many
> people on one line that it became unusable. Any if
> all the answers are
> good what ethernet card would you recommend ?

DSL ( and verizon DSL ) is IMHO the most economical,
and functional connection out there. It doesn't
suffer from load issues like cable and is an always on
connection shareable to any number of pc's on your
network. The only thing I think I would change about
my service is the dynamic ip addressing... I would
prefer static addressing, but don't want to pay $100 a
month for it right now. As for Nic cards, they are
pretty much the same. Look on the back of your
machine. Many modern modern boards have the ethernet
port built in. If you need to buy a NIC then my
suggestions are Linksys, Netgear, or DLINK. A good
practice to follow in networking is to buy all the
same cards and switches.. the more variable you can
eliminate from your network, the easier it will be to
troubleshoot when you have problems. One thing to
mention ... when setting a home network up be familiar
with how the network is cabled.. ie. do you know the
difference between a cross-over cable, and a cat6e
cable, and how they fit into the network cabling
design. It is a simple issue, but one that seems to
slip peoples attention when they are focused on trying
to get the machine to connect.

> TIA for you wisdom, Maureen

Your welcome. VIVA LA Linux :)