Re: [SLUG] Mdk Linux instability

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 09:37:51 EST

Kenneth W Hansen wrote:

>I've been using Mandrale 9.0 for the past few months
>at home. I'm a new user, and still feeling my way
>around. I'm not familiar with these issues, but have 2
>others that happen each time I shut down the system
>for a day or so, then start it back up.

I'm using Mandrake but:

1) I've found that if I specify ReiserFS when installing I don't get the
file munging (instabilities) I got fro the default EXT3 journaling
filesystem.

2) I now use Gnome as my default desktop. Mozilla and OpenOffice, the
two "big" applications I use all day long, load and run noticably faster
under Gnome than in KDE. It took me a little more work to get a Gnome
bottom panel set up than a KDE one (I like to run *everything* from my
panel) but the effort was worth it.

These changes have made my experience with Mandrake much more pleasant.

- Robin