Re: [SLUG] Moving from RR Cable to Verizon DSL = mucho easy

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 11:32:49 EDT

w1mnk@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

>Robin,
> I'm curious as to what they meant with the statement below. Both Verizon
>and Brighthouse (or whatever du jour) are FCC regulated. I'm not sure what
>*law*
>would allow them to provide "nasty" customer service. Thanks.

It's apparently legal for cable TV companies to declare someone a "cable
pirate," bill retroactively for services they allege were stolen, and
refuse to refund that money. The first three layers of customer service
management I talked to were adamant in their refusal to remove the back
charges. They said I owed the money since I had stolen the service; that
I would have to pay. Sure, they'd have a guy come out and put the proper
filter on the line and then reduce my bill in the future, then gave me
lectures about how thieves like me can be prosecuted and how they were
letting me off easy.

Aside from the false threats/allegations, which were maddening enough,
the insult to my technical abilities made me even angrier. I mean, I am
a former U.S. Army Electronic Warfare Tech (MOS 33S for those who know
about that sort of thing), and if I wanted to steal premium cable TV
service, I know ways to do that the cable company could not detect. :)

- Robin