Re: [SLUG] laptop recommendations

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 22:13:42 EDT

On Thursday 05 June 2003 08:02 pm, Josh Tiner wrote:
> Hi Again Everyone,
>
> It's been a while since I last own a laptop - my old one was a IBM
> ThinkPad iSeries 1400 with a Celeron 433mhz proc in it... Well, I'm
> looking to scrap one of my desktop machines in favor of a lappy - but
> the new ones out there these days are horrendously expense (like 2500+
> in some cases for decent stuff). Are there any recommendations out
> there? Obviously I'd like to have a dual boot system to satisfy some of
> my course requirements of @ school - but it's primarily for Java
> programming and Web Development - maybe a bit of C coding in the near
> future...
>
> Thanks,
> -jtiner

Hi Josh

I have a IBM A30P running Mandrake 9.1 and Windows XP.
Great box but there are a few issues.
1. You need a pcmci full modem. There is no driver for the Winmodem in this
box.
2. It is easer to make it dual boot than try to figure out what you have to do
to run only Linux. There are some bios issues that I am not familiar with
because mine is dual boot.
3. There are a couple of strange but not serious boot issues and sleep issues.
4. The damn thing cost too much.

Frank