Re: [SLUG] Supporting Linux - Point and Click Linux at Brandon Dec 2

From: Robin \ (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 10:09:42 EDT

>> It's still worth
>>asking yourself if you wouldn't rather throw some support toward
>>Mepis/Robin. If so check this:
>>
>>http://www.phptr.com/title/0131488724

I appreciate this. Thank you

Now that the book/CD/video DVD package from Prentice Hall is done and at
the printer, I'm making a whole new series of instructional Linux
videos. Low-res versions will be available for free download through
SourceForge.net mirrors and/or at ibiblio.org, and I hope to sell enough
CDs containing the high-res versions to turn a few extra bucks from the
work.

When I say "sell" I mean to the general public, not to Linux
sophisticates like you. Imagine a TV spot that says, "Now you can have
the same operating system on your home computer that runs the world's
top supercomputers -- for only $49.95 including hundreds of free
programs AND complete, easy-to-follow video instructions! Call the
number at the bottom of your screen to order now! Operators are standing
by to take your order! BUT WAIT! There's more..."

Plus Google keyword ads, etc. - this is not Michael Robertson or
IBM-style big-money splash, but simple, cheap-guy direct marketing.
We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, no matter where you live you may want to come to the Brandon
Dec. 2 meeting - That's going to be the U.S. "Point and Click Linux"
launch party and book signing, coordinated with Barnes and Noble's and
Prentice Hall's PR people, plus I'll probably slap out a few releases
and make some calls to local media myself.

I think my talk will be a two-fer: I'll talk about how to get started
with Linux for those who have never really used it, and also talk about
TEACHING Linux to desktop users, a topic that will probably be of more
interest to most current LUG members than the basics of installing and
using Linux. I'll be doing a "Teaching Linux" presentation at LinuxWorld
in Boston, too, and possibly elsewhere...

Hope to see you Dec. 2. I'll happily autograph copies whether you buy
them there or bring them with you. It's all the same to me; my per-copy
royalties are small (about $1.50) no matter where you buy. I wrote this
book not for the money but because I simply wanted it to exist -- and
now it does.

- Robin