Re: [SLUG] Wireless broadband

From: Robin \ (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 18:42:03 EDT

> I don't have it yet. I was looking at PCMCIA cards 802.11b and
> 802.11g. I thought I'd let other folks advise me before I laid out my
> cash. I think the site is b but it might be a or g. I will try to find
> out for sure. The notebook is a Toshiba, the OS is Simply MEPIS and it
> is already installed. It looks for a net connection as it boots.

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite laptop + SMC 802.11 PCMCIA card right now,
no problem. I had to go into the MEPIS system center to set up the
wireless connection -- took 10 seconds -- and since I rarely use this
laptop through a wire I also unchecked the ETH0 setup at boot to speed
up my boot time.

The XP side.... took the driver CD for the wireless card, but I
eventually got it to work. It's been a while since I booted Windows so
I'm not sure it still works. Seems to me that I needed to have different
drivers for each make of wireless card I used, a problem that doesn't
afflict Linux.

- Robin