Re: [SLUG] List Chaos.

From: David Meyer (meyda07@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 09:35:33 EST

Not having been on the flame bant for a while and
seeing what everyone else has contributed to this list
regarding various topics (Asia Carrera, etc.) and now
the latest "list chaos" flame-fest, I thought I would
contribute just what I have learned over my three
years on this list

1. I will only ask, answer and comment on technical
issues that I can intelligently answer based on my
knowledge or lack thereof...never my opinion.

2. I will NEVER participate in a public flame-fest on
this list again. I've done it twice, and whether
right or wrong, nobody wins.

3. I will NEVER compare this distro to that distro.
Why? Because I started out on Red Hat and SuSE, and
over a year and a half moved to debian as I learned
it. In either case, whatever Linux distro someone
uses, they are still using Linux, which is good for
all of us and that is what matters to me.

4. I will listen to those who are trying to tell me
something BEFORE I respond to make sure I understand
what they are saying, and then respond off-list if it
risks a flame war, because starting a war is never my
goal.

Why do I say all of this?? The people I have met on
this list and at meetings are good people. Several of
them have become good friends. While we may differ in
our opinions and uses of Linux distros, all have been
willing to step up and help me when I needed it. When
I realized I was wrong and apologized, I was welcomed
back. Of the people I have had a flame war with in
the past (Bill Preece, Paul Foster, Mark Bish, Ian
Blenke and Matt Moen) all have, after I realized I was
wrong (I had to have an open mind and hear what they
were saying in the first place and then realize that I
was indeed wrong) been very helpful when I needed
something, and I have learned from each of them...and
MANY others...too many to count.

I guess my point is this...I have never gained
anything other than heartache from flame wars. My
turning point came when I had dinner with Linus
Torvalds, Mad Dog Hall and Larry Augustine in Las
Vegas two years ago, and I had a chance to sit with
them and really learn what Open Source is, and how
society as a whole benefits from it. That has been
further built upon by my friendship with Stuart Cohen
from OSDL, and my work here at Computer Associates
with our Open Source partnerships with Plone and
JBOSS, and my own support of the Free Software
Foundation.

So...let's be nic eto each other and remember we're
all on the same team working for the same
goal...furtherment of Linux and Open Source.

Have a great day all.

Dave