Re: [SLUG] PCI-Express now seems to be the price/performance mainstay for Linux

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 22:21:07 EST

On Sunday 05 December 2004 15:58, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> [ Since my PC_Support list is on the LEAP server, and even the
> re-created LEAP list seems to be down, I will post this here. Please
> let me know if this is not appropriate content. ]
>
> After looking through product specs, reviews and pricing over the
> last few weeks, I have come to one conclusion, it's best to go either
> i915/925 with PCI-Express (if you prefer Intel) or wait a month or so
> for nForce4/KT890 chipset mainboards with PCI-Express (for AMD) for
> the best, possible video performance for the price. This conclusion
> has really nothing to do with PCI-Express itself, but the pricing
> around AGP v. PCI-Express products given the following constraints.

Brian,
...........<snipping a whole bunch>................
This reply is a few days late because I have read & reread your
recommendations several times and I am confused. I respect your
expertise immensely and would probably follow your advice. I seek
specific advice. (That is also true for the other Sluggers out there
who would make a recommendation. )

Alas, just a few weeks ago I purchased a new MSI K8T motherboard with a
939 socket and an AMD_64 bit Athlon 3500 + with a gig of ram and an AGP
slot. I am extremely happy though because it works great. Extremely
fast. Didn't know about the upcoming PCI Express. I reused my old
Voodoo 3 videocard.( PCI ) My children would like to purchase a new
videocard for me for Christmas in the not so expensive range. I am not
a serious gamer although I like to play games from time to time.

Sooooo, can you boil it down for me a little ???

Thanks, Bob Stia