[SLUG] Proposed New SLUG Site

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 00:24:32 EST

Hello all!

I've presented to three different SLUG meetings a proposed new SLUG
website that I've built using the current site's content, and a Content
Management System (CMS) called Plone (see http://www.plone.org/ for
details) built on top of a web application server/development
environment called Zope (see http://www.zope.org/ for more information
about that).

So...if you want to see what's been developed, have a look at
http://www.village-smurf.com:8080/Test_SLUG

Tell me what you think! Please note that the URL is case sensitive, a
side effect of the whole thing being written in Python. The site is
hosted currently on my G3/266 Powermac, and hasn't been optimized. At
some point, if every one likes it and we can put it on nks's servers,
the SLUG site will run on zope/plone behind Apache. Also, I'm not
completely done. I haven't created a todo list yet...but I'm getting
closer to writing one up every day! :-)

I'm still going to do a presentation in Dunedin...

Features/Benefits:
# Meeting Calendar
# Workflows
# User created content
# Security/Access Control Lists
# Opt-in/opt-out of website related changes (such as a job posting)
# Searches
# Scales well to 1000's of users (not that we will need that)

Potential drawbacks:
# Requires maintenance/care and feeding
# So far, I'm the only one who knows Zope/Plone!

My goal in creating the site was to address a need that some folks had a
couple of years ago, but since they've gone off on their own...Lately
I've been able to sit down and take my flash in a pan idea and make it
into something worthwhile. I'm happy to contribute back to my community
in this fashion.

The need I'm speaking of is job postings. The current situation requires
someone filling out a form, and having Paul send an email to the list
saying there's a job posting. My solution is that a user fills out a
form (aka a job type), and submits it. After this, the reviewer looks at
it, decides it's okay, and publishes it. The act of publishing causes an
email to go out to everyone that has opted in (through their user prefs)
to receive these emails that announce the job. Plone has a facility for
having content be available for a set period of time, after which it is
not available for viewing. This greatly simplifies the process, believe
it or not. :-) Many of the manual steps become automated.

I hope you like it. Please send feedback!

Russell