Re: [SLUG] Debain X Problem

From: John Pugh (jpugh@NOVELL.COM)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 16:44:36 EDT

>>> jbroecker@tampabay.rr.com 04/25/05 4:15 pm >>>
>
>I just recently replaced my fedora core install with a debian one because my roommate uses the same >and it makes easier learning if we use the same.  However my video card wasn’t listed in the >installer (nvidia geforce2 I think) and when I try to run X the screen blinks a couple times and >gives me an error message.  I don’t have the exact message because I can’t email from linux yet and >am doing the dual boot thing.  The message says that it cannot start X due to some sort of graphical >problem.  Can anyone help me thanks in advance.
You "should" (as we know should shouldn't be) be able to get graphics running with a generic driver that comes with debian and then update it to the nvidia (you will still need to do this update outside of X).
NVIDIA drivers are governed by a proprietary license and are not included with any (that I'm aware of) distributions because of this proprietary license. You will have to go to nvidia's site (nivida.com/linux) to download it.

>Also I have a Zaurus SL-5500 and am wondering if there is linux based software for synching with >it?
>From what I can tell...it appears that you can do that depending on what you want to sync it to...I've found comments about syncing to a number of KDE based apps...kontact, kmail, etc. Use the "google force" Luke...I mean Jesse.

Good luck!

JP