RE: [SLUG] Biased Paranoia Against Open Source (Was Online File Archive)

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 30 2005 - 10:31:45 EDT

>> Only one problem with that thought, If all those companies
>> went out of business then everyone would simply crack the install.

There are legal issues with cracking the install. I cannot choose that
route for business deployment.

>>If novell died tommarow would you still want to use Suse 5 years from now?

Perhaps, but that is MY choice.

We still have a 486-based Pick system running at work. It runs a custom
application and there is no commercial product that can directly replace it.
I'm writing it's SQL-based replacement, and that will take a long time to
develop. After weighing the options, I chose Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP. It's
an internal-use system, not exposed to the Internet, and allows me to use
Windows, Mac, Linux or Palm clients using the exact same code. Some of the
client PCs are Win95 based, tied to CNC machine controllers, and won't run
recent versions of Internet Explorer. Firefox worked, so once again open
source solved the issue. Had I chosen ASP, would I be forced to change it
to ASP.NET somewhere along the road?

As a matter of fact, that server is SuSE-based. I can run it as long as I
want, and move any of the GPL stuff to as many servers as I want, connecting
as many users as I want. I can even move it to a Windows server running
Apache/MySQL/PHP.

An earlier project for another client was based on NT 3.51, and they would
need additional CALs (Client Access Licenses) from Microsoft before the
server will talk to more clients. Naturally, MS doesn't want to sell NT
3.51 CALs, suggesting they upgrade to Server 2003. Windows 2003 64-bit
versions do not support COM, so that will be the next watershed.

>> Opensouce is a wierd thing. You talk bout people will pick it up
>> I found out that is seldom the case.

Yes, I agree.

>> Products that I find that will survive are Commercial backed
>> projects and Huge monolitic projects with a large number of
>> programmers wear loosing 1 or 5 programmers are not a big deal.

Agreed.

>> Debain - There Army of programmers They just simply win in the numbers
game.

Ah, you've made my point for me. AT&T (the vendor of UNIX) kept altering
the license, and closed the source code. But the product was good enough
that today we have a complete replacements - GNU/Linux and BSD.

>> But the small single man or small group projects are the ones
>> that are going to die and stay dead.

Agreed.

>> No one going to pick them up and if some
>> one did 2 years later am I still going to be interested.

Maybe. I only care that _I_ have that option.

I realize we are talking about apples and oranges here. I agree with you
that if a product isn't popular enough, it can die no matter if its open or
closed source. But if you have to build something that might be running for
20 years, it is really nice to have source code and the GPL, rather than
deal with different EULAs, legal issues, and a vendor unwilling to sell me
another license.

I believe your point is that most projects die, even though it is _possible_
for someone to pick up a dead product, it is rare for that to happen. And I
agree with your point. And I think we can agree that closed source apps put
the users at the mercy of the owner of the code. Open source + GPL allows
for the possibility of a continued life, no matter what the vendor wants.

Ken Elliott