Re: [SLUG] US Robotics Modem

From: Mavrick (icebergwaltz@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 08:42:24 EDT

 So
> my conclusion from this is I have a software issue which I believe should be
> easy to solve by inspecting or copying the files in the box that works [I am
> using it to send this message.] and copying or adjusting the same files in
> the MCI box. The issue is I do not know which files.

Frank,

I am not clear per your prior posts if you are just having problems
with internet connectivity, or any network connectivity whatsoever.
Assuming that you do not have internet, but each computer *can* see
the other on the network, why don't you just install an image of the
good box onto the bad box (man the command "dd"). Once this is done,
you will have an *exact* copy of the good configuration on the "bad"
box (this will take care of your problem with not knowing which
file(s) are causing you your grief). All you will then have to do is
change the comp name and the ip address and you should be good to go
with two good boxes with virtually the same setup. We did this here
at work with a number (around 75 if I remember correctly) of render
farm boxes that we had to set up in a short amount of time. We imaged
RH8.0 over the network on about 5-6 boxes at a time, and this saved us
having to install each one by hand. When the dd was done we changed
the name and ip of the target machine and we had a new box ready to
go. If the boxes have different functions/software you can add that
after the image is copied.

Please forgive my assumptions, but if you are able give it a try.

Cheers,

Mav