Re: [SLUG] verizon dsl

From: Pete Theisen (petet@acun.com)
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 07:59:04 EDT

Bob Stia wrote:
<snips>
> DSL for $14.95. They offer a linksys router for a $15 one time
> charge. I assume that is with a firewall? tech people would
> assist in a linux setup.

Hi Bob!

I signed up for it Thursday for a different location than here, not to
say "my office". It seemed to accept the "home" order for the office
number.

If you have more than one computer, you need the router. There is a
$19.95 connection charge as well that you don't hear about until you
have submitted the order. Wireless is included on the router but you
could turn it off or put a password on it that not even you could
remember :-) in the worse case you could remove the antenna.

I have the faster DSL at home with the Verizon router. I don't recall a
firewall, perhaps it is self configuring? My MEPIS setup runs guarddog
by default so I never think of the firewall. I never use the W-word
online. Every now and then you have to reboot the router.

My good friend George Emigh is getting a real honking dual monitor
gentoo box ready for my office, he tipped me on the $14.95 dsl.

Regards,

Pete