Re: [SLUG] verizon dsl

From: Tom Suzda (tsuzda@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 08:13:05 EDT

On Saturday 03 September 2005 2:18 am, you wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 02:06:50AM -0400, Bill Glidden wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > On a slightly different topic, I'm having FIOS installed Tuesday.
> > Does anyone have any experience with this service? I'm curious to
> > see if I'll notice that much of a difference.
>
> I'd be curious to know how the hook it up to your house/equipment.
> Are they running phone through it, too? Are you getting fibre all the
> way to your router? Are you using it for cable as well? If so, does
> it go all the way to your cable box?
>
> Paul

I got FIOS installed last September. I had Brighthouse before that, so I
can't compare DSL with it, but I will say that I am impressed by the
service.

The fiber is from the street to an ONT (Optical Network Terminal)
located where your old standard phone connection box was. The ONT
breaks the fiber down to a RJ45 data port, 4 phone line connections,
and a RG style screw on video connection. The phone lines are just
moved from the old phone connection box to the new ONT. A Cat 5 cable
is run to the computer, where it will connect to a Verizon supplied
D-Link router. I assume they will just used the prewired video cable
runs that are on the side of the house that Bighthouse, or Comcast, or
any other cable company would normally use, for their video connection
as well. Video isn't available in my area yet.

When they came in to install it, the entered a computer room of 5 linux
based systems. They're first question was, "Didn't the person that took
the order tell you that you had to have a Windows based computer?" I
told them to settle down, all they were providing me was a Cat 5 cable
with a standard RJ45 on the end. It looks just like any other network
cable. Verizon is using PPPoE for authentication, so we entered all the
information in the Verizon supplied router, and it connected with no
problem.

The only issue we had was that the speeds they were trying to attain,
15/2 mbps, just weren't there, based on their speed test web sites. The
only tweaking stuff they have is all for Windows based machines.

I ended up letting them play with a Windows 2000 based system, that I
keep around for support of long forgotten clients. After tweaking the
system, we got the speeds we wanted, and they were outside cleaning up
their mess. I went back to the linux system, logged on to the same
speed sites they used, and attained the same speeds. I poked my head
out to let them know that it really doesn't matter, linux or Windows
both work.

So far I've been very happy with the service.

Tom