[SLUG] Postfix relayhost = option

From: Glenn Meyer (glenn@glennmeyer.com)
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 00:51:13 EDT

I use DSL through CenturyTel in Missouri. I run my own mail server.
Occasionally, because I have a dynamic IP, I cannot send mail to certain
domains. I'd like to have my Postfix server forward my outgoing mail
through the CenturyTel SMTP host.

If I set the outgoing SMTP server in my mail client to their SMTP host
(mail.so.centurytel.net), I can send out through it. No problems.

If I set the outgoing SMTP server in my mail client to my own Postfix
server (192.168.10.3), I can send out to most domains.

When I set my Postfix /etc/postfix/main.cf option "relayhost =
mail.so.centurytel.net", I get an error in /var/log/messages that says...
Sep 13 23:35:03 dell postfix/smtp[20590]: D7833CBAFE:
to=<afriend@somedomain.com>, relay=none, delay=27100, status=deferred
(Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
name=mail.so.centurytel.net type=MX: Host not found, try again).

Funny thing is that from my postfix box, I can telnet
mail.so.centurytel.net 25 no problem. So why can't Postfix find this
box? It finds all the other domains I need to send to. It just can't
seem to find it if I use it in the "relayhost =" option.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!