Re: [SLUG] Now: Road Runner dial up Was:People PC

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 00:28:54 EDT

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Steven Buehler wrote:

> > > I know Road Runner does, but I haven't figured out the sequence to log in
> > > from Linux yet. It dials up fine, but then I'm at some prompt with no clue
> > > how to proceed.
>
> I believe that Road Runner's dial-up service piggyback's on
> CompuServe's network, so there is an initial code that the Road Runner
> dial-up sends to request the appropriate login prompt (same way you
> used to have to do with CompuServe terminal dial-up years ago). It is
> possible to script it and it's nothing incredibly fancy. I've only
> used the RR dial-up once or twice since I have a dial-up account with
> AT&T Global Network as part of my job.

When it answers the modem, it prompts with:

Level 3 Comm nas17.tmp1 UQKT2

Username:/login:/Login:

I reply <accountholder email username>@tampabay.rr.com . It prompts with

Password:

I'll have to find out the password tomorrow; apparently I don't know it (I
don't use the primary account).

But anyhow, that's different (and more tractable) behavior than I remember.
Good deal.

VIRGO:  All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except
for you.  Expect a big surprise today when you wind up with your
head impaled upon a stick.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_