Re: [SLUG] New Windows Singularity

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 23:07:59 EST

Ken Elliott wrote:

>>>M$ hasn't ever been reliable.
>>>

>Sorry, but the Windows NT and Windows 2000 servers I've used over the years
>have been quite reliable. It's the drivers that suck, and if you use crap
>drivers, Windows blue screens and dies. I've stuck with high-end HP
>hardware and it worked quite well.

I stand corrected. I could never tweak windon't that well.

>>>They DIDN'T put a Wenkle-style rotary engine in the Corvette because they
>>>

>realized that it wouldn't wear out.
>
>It was emissions that stalled that effort. I have pictures of a three-rotor
>and four-rotor Corvette. I saw the car. I wanted one. But the emissions
>standards made GM pull the plug on an entirely new engine.

...much like the Chrysler Turbine?
I haven't tried it yet, but a Google search on "buckminsterfullerene"
and "car" might produce some shocking results.

>>>..and yet we can't build a car that will out-do 150k miles without a
>>>

>struggle. It's called planned obsalecence. They won't release anything
>that's too good, because then, what's the incentive to buy the next one?
>
>I suspect Toyoda will disagree. They usually go 300K+ miles, and that's why
>they have become so coveted among their owners.

"WE" being the big three. I've had several Civic's do over 200k in my
care, and I just passed on a BMW with over 350k. As far as I know, it's
still scootin' around out there somewhere. I used to be a professional
mechanic. I have worked in the automotive industry more than anything
else in my working life. I've seen way too many domestic products give
up the ghost prematurely. It makes me sick. I want to support our
economy and workforce, but...
...sorry, not going to beat that dog any more.
With the exception of that 1.5-million mile Galaxy and some other
obscure stories I've heard about this or that, I have seen no evidence
of longevity coming out of our car companies. We as Americans CAN
however build a diesel. Cummins, International (Powerstroke), etc.,
they are exquisite pieces of machinery. Nor have I seen anything in the
current domestic market that entices me on any other level. Don't get
me wrong, if I were in the market for a full-sized TRUCK, it would NOT
be a Titan. I'm not sure what it would be, but it would most likely be
a domestic.
    Yes, Toyota makes a fine product. Most of them are manufactured
here. That's the saddest part. Of the Nissan's, Honda's and Toyota's
that will outlive their US counterparts by 3x, most of these are made
here. If a Focus could match a Civic's fit and finish, or if a Grand Am
didn't develop a rattle in a weird place after 60k, I could possibly
excuse the intent to replace or radically repair after 150,000 miles,
but the flaws...
...wow, this was supposed to be a final thought...
    And a short word about recalls and lawsuits: Ford is King. They
recall seatbelts that break off the floorboards on impact. They recall
seats that break off of floorboards on impact. They recall airbags that
go off incorrectly. Their A-pillars collapse. They don't recall
anything until the right departmental pencil-pusher figures out that it
will cost less to perform free service on a recall than to pay the
damages of so many deaths and injuries.
...okay. I'll stop now.

All, Thank you for your patience with my ranting. I apologize for any
inconvenience or offense.

--Michael