Re: [SLUG] EBay and Linux

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 15:18:54 EST

>From: "Robin 'Roblimo' Miller" <robin@roblimo.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] EBay and Linux
>Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:57:14 -0500
>
>Steven Buehler wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 20, 2005, at 12:51 PM, Paul M Foster wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone know if you can use Linux to access Ebay? At one time, they
> >> prevented any non-Microsoft browsers (IE) from accessing their service.
> >
> > Really? I've never had an issues with eBay on Linux (using FireFox and
> > Konqueror).
>
>eBay founder Pierre Omidyar uses and likes Linux. The site has always
>been browser-agnostic.
>
>- Robin

Not quite.

That may be the case for buyers but *sellers* that are using IE get content
that is a little different than sellers using other browsers. I don't
remember the exactly specifics (my dad sells on eBay, not I) but I believe
it had something to do with choosing categories and/or uploading pictures.
However, one can still sell things on eBay without IE. The interface is just
slightly different.

Anyway, my dad uses a Linux box exclusively for all his eBay buying/selling
and I've yet to get a "My box is broken" phone call from him regarding Linux
and eBay. He uses Firefox and Epiphany.

-Jonathon