Re: [SLUG] Splitting Cat 6 cable

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 16:57:33 EDT

> On Tuesday 17 October 2006 23:57, Jan Mason wrote:
> > I am setting up a new fast Ethernet network that has one 100 foot
> > cable in it. I went with Cat 6 cables, Cat 6 plugs, and Cat 6 jacks.
> > I want to connect two jacks at either end of the 100 foot cable. Two
> > pairs to each jack. The jacks are going into surface mount boxes.
> >
> > Will there be a performance hit running two data circuits through one
> > cable? If there is a hit, do you think that I will still have full
> > performance for a fast Ethernet network?
> >
> > Thanks for your support.

It might just work. The issue is crosstalk which is specified in the
standards. What is missing is the tolerance of the hardware to crosstalk and
that might vary greatly between mfg'ers. The receiving end, if too
sensitive, could respond to the signal in the other circuit. The quality of
line termination will also affect the crosstalk, i.e. if the characterstic
impedance of line is not well matched the crosstalk will be greater than if
it was on-spec.

A quick search turned up the following that refers to using Cat 5 for two
ethernet circuits. It does not mention speed/performance, however.

http://www.sunion.warwick.ac.uk/portal/advice/accommodation/movingin/broadband/

Myself, I would give it a try.

Don