Re: [SLUG] Splitting Cat 6 cable

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 12:05:46 EDT

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 23:57, Jan Mason wrote:
> I am setting up a new fast Ethernet network that has one 100 foot
> cable in it. I went with Cat 6 cables, Cat 6 plugs, and Cat 6 jacks.
> I want to connect two jacks at either end of the 100 foot cable. Two
> pairs to each jack. The jacks are going into surface mount boxes.
>
> Will there be a performance hit running two data circuits through one
> cable? If there is a hit, do you think that I will still have full
> performance for a fast Ethernet network?
>
> Thanks for your support.

You will break the standard. It's built to use four twisted pairs. The moment
you run any other AC through any pairs you'll break the standard. There is a
magnetic field which you will mess up.

What happens varies with the conditions, but you will for sure not help. The
standard thing to do is to pull another pair. Or put a switch at the other
end.

Ethernet is built to be very resilient, but we are talking about high
frequency signals running through the cable. We are not talking about some 9V
DC running through it. For example if you are running Gigabit then just
running a tight 90 degree turn will be outside the spec.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.