Re: [SLUG] Microsoft rides the NERD SLED!

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 18:03:50 EST

On Saturday 04 November 2006 17:40, Joe Brandt wrote:

> I am numb with dismay, I do not know what to think. Historically,
> anyone who partners with Gates and Co gets eaten alive. If / When it
> happens this time, what should we do. Correct me if I am wrong, never
> before has an American company been labled a monopoly and nothing was
> done about it. That is exactly what happened with Microsoft. I
> personally despise Microsoft with every cell of my body and have been
> overjoyes with Novell /Suse cooperation with spreading the word of
> Linux. Betrayed to the n-th degree is what I feel now. This is truly a
> sad day.
>
> Joe Brandt

AT&T comes to mind, but you are still accurate in that hardly any company has.
Certainly MS got away with nothing but a ruling against it. I don't think it
even counts as a slap on the hand. There was talk about them offering an O/S
at a discount to schools for a few years before they had to pay up. Which is
a great marketing opportunity, not a penalty exactly. Oh, they had to buy
computers too. (RedHat offered to increase the benefits to school by giving
away the O/S so that a lot more kids could get a computer without the MS
tax.)

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.