Re: [SLUG] Novell's response to boycott letter

From: Rich Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2007 - 16:48:05 EST

On Tue, January 2, 2007 3:14 pm, Robert Snyder wrote:
>>From where I am sitting , I see a bunch of people who scream we hate MS,
>> MS
> sucks... Normal fanatical linux user stuff. But these people are choosing
> belive Steve Ballamer? Why not belive Novell when they it was not for IP
> rights. Why belive what Ballamer spits out of his mouth.

At this point, it can't be for IP rights because that would violate
section 7 of the GPL. Eben Moglen of the SFLC has reviewed the contracts
under a NDA (of course) and has publicly stated this. I would suspect,
and this is just me talking, that it's some sort of one-time marketing
payout. Novell is paying Microsoft to push Suse to a few business
customers.

> So hopefully you can set some stuff straight. Is there proof that the 30
> million with out a doubt was for ip rights. Or is everyone just jumping
> the
> gun by beliving MS of all companies and attacking Novell.

Thanks, man, but it doesn't look like anything is going to be set
straight. In their second e-mail, the Novell VP stated that there are
multiple ways to look at this, but in the end, it's a done deal. Novell
is just doing damage control now.

v/r,
Rich Morgan
OpenAddict.com