Re: [SLUG] a few ideas

From: Tyler Vann-Campbell (tyler.v@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 09:48:42 EDT

On 6/12/07, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:

> On Monday 11 June 2007 23:02, Robert Waldo wrote:
> > After following the emails of the SLUG for a few years and attending no
> > more than a few local meetings (Dunedin, St Petersburg, and New Port
> > Richey) I have drawn a couple of observations regarding our local
> LUG. The
>
> I must say it sounds like some good observations. Being anything but a
> newbee
> myself I can see why some people get the idea of RTFM just from people
> who's
> interests are focused on more advanced topics.
>
> Speaking for myself I've always been willing to ensure that others can
> keep up
> with what's going on, but often times people who don't know don't stand up
> and say please explain. Either way, I think it would be good to know if a
> meeting is going to cater to new users and or advanced. Just like it may
> be a
> good idea to cater to various distro's.

An idea I've seen used to good effect are things like SIG (special interest
group) or BOF-style meetings where people can share expertise about various
open source topics. I don't think it's unreasonable that people are fired
up about Asterisk. Asterisk is an exceptional piece of open source software
that is making corporate inroads like Linux+Apache did previously. (Tell a
business owner that they can run a sophisticated PBX while cutting out
Verizon and Nortel and watch their eyes light up)

Linux seems like a platform with not too many technical hurdles left.
Honestly if I need help with something these days, it's php, ifolder,
asterisk, beryl or some other technology that runs on top of Linux, rather
than the OS itself. I have my parents (not the most technically savvy
folks) on Ubuntu, and I'm seriously considering a migration of our corporate
desktops. It's just that mature now.

--
"The power of the computer is marvelous, and the cost of computer power is
small, and you can over time build files that have lots of information on