[SLUG] St. Pete Meeting Topics

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylan@hardison.net)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 12:47:18 EDT

Here are three topics I propose for future St. Pete (or possibly Tampa)
meetings. They are all roughly the same.

All of them follow the pattern of "Let's write some software",
and are inspired in the spirit of "Teach yourself Scheme in Fixnum days"[1].

a) "Let's write a filesystem"
  Over the course of a few meetings, we'd discuss (and at least I would)
  implement a FUSE-based filesystem based on the discussion.
  One idea we could use is that of a tagfs[2]
  I'm unsure of how long this would take, and it seems to be the hardest
  project.

b) "Let's invent a language"
  A meeting to discuss features and semantics of an interpreted language,
  and a few meetings to discuss how one would go about implementing it.

  This could be fun, we could use invent something truly bizzare, on the lines
  of brainf*ck, homespring, or lolcode[3].
  This is probably the least useful project, but fairly easy to implement.
  Also could spark interesting debates of language semantics and syntax.

c) "Let's write a wiki/cms"
  A meeting for discussing requirements, etc for a wiki engine, and another
  meeting to implement it.

  This is the nicest project I can think of, as there would be room for lots of
  "cooks" with differeing interests and skills.

Anyone find these topics interesting?
Please be aware that none of these requires everyone present to participate, or
have coding ability. It would be more of a discussion and walkthrough, with me (and some
others, I pray) doing the actual work.

[1] http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/t-y-scheme/t-y-scheme.html
[2] http://ian.blenke.com/projects/tagfs
[3] http://www.lolcode.com/home

--
"I remember when, granpaw use to say, 'Grandson, these be the good
old days."