Re: [SLUG] update error

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2007 - 13:10:58 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

>> Hello all:
>> I have been getting the following error for the last few days when I try
>> to run the update manager in Kubuntu 7.04:
>> E: /var/cache/apt/archives/kde4base-data_3.93.0-0ubuntu1~feisty2_all.deb:
>> trying to overwrite
>> `/usr/lib/kde4/share/apps/kdeprint/filters/enscript.desktop', which is
>> also in package kde4libs-data
>>
>> I try to update it regularly but the last few days a have been difficult
>> with several repository errors. I set my system up with Automatix when i
>> installed the system a month ago. Since then I regularly have to manually
>> fix or apt-get update individual programs to update the whole system. Has
>> anyone encountered this problem, and if so what did you do to fix it? I
>> am strongly considering removing automatix but have no proof this is the
>> crux of the problem.
>>

>I've run Debian (basis for Kubuntu) for years, and have periodically had
>this problem. It *appears* that from time to time the Debian
>repositories have short-term glitches like this, where part of one
>package steps on another package. I've worked for hours on it, and the
>only solution I've ever found is to tear out chunks of the distribution
>which appear to conflict, and reinstall them. It's happened particularly
>with X Window, which has gone through some profound changes in the last
>few years. I've had to uninstall X and maybe some other packages, and
>then apt-get install those packages again. Hairy process. I don't know
>anything about Automatix, so I doubt that's the problem.

This is very similar to "RPM Hell", for those stuck in Redhat environments.

There are two approaches to address this problem.

One approach is to "pin" one repository to take precedence over another
repository. If a package is found in each, the higher weighted
repository's package will be installed.

I've found that approach to be cumbersome and confusing, even for
advanced users and administrators.

The other approach is to "backport" packages from one repository to another.

This involves editing your debian/control and/or debian/rules file to
work around any file collisions or broken dependencies, and then build
the package with dpkg-buildpackage.

The unfortunate side-effect of the latter approach is that you end up
maintaining your own pseudo-debian variant.

The latter approach is what I use for maintaining the NKS farm. Backport
packages as you need to from newer debian (and ubuntu) source
repositories, fixing dependencies and hacking them up rather horribly to
fit in your custom distribution.

The latter approach also makes you a bit more familiar with debian
packaging, and lets you package things that wouldn't otherwise be debian
packaged.

If you want to be sure not to have a broken debian install and avoid
this kind of problem, be sure to keep with pure debian apt repositories,
and stay away from 3rd party repositories of handbuilt packages. The
same thing can be said for RPM apt/yum/zypper repositories under RedHat
variants.

 - Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com/