Re: [SLUG] update error

From: Possum (possum@possumism.net)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2007 - 18:02:38 EDT

Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> Paul M Foster wrote:
>
>>> Hello all:
>>> I have been getting the following error for the last few days when
>>> I try
>>> to run the update manager in Kubuntu 7.04:
>>> E:
>>> /var/cache/apt/archives/kde4base-data_3.93.0-0ubuntu1~feisty2_all.deb:
>>> trying to overwrite
>>> `/usr/lib/kde4/share/apps/kdeprint/filters/enscript.desktop', which is
>>> also in package kde4libs-data
>>>
>>> I try to update it regularly but the last few days a have been
>>> difficult
>>> with several repository errors. I set my system up with Automatix
>>> when i
>>> installed the system a month ago. Since then I regularly have to
>>> manually
>>> fix or apt-get update individual programs to update the whole
>>> system. Has
>>> anyone encountered this problem, and if so what did you do to fix
>>> it? I
>>> am strongly considering removing automatix but have no proof this
>>> is the
>>> crux of the problem.
>>>
>> I've run Debian (basis for Kubuntu) for years, and have periodically
>> had this problem. It *appears* that from time to time the Debian
>> repositories have short-term glitches like this, where part of one
>> package steps on another package. I've worked for hours on it, and the
>> only solution I've ever found is to tear out chunks of the
>> distribution which appear to conflict, and reinstall them. It's
>> happened particularly with X Window, which has gone through some
>> profound changes in the last few years. I've had to uninstall X and
>> maybe some other packages, and then apt-get install those packages
>> again. Hairy process. I don't know anything about Automatix, so I
>> doubt that's the problem.
>>

> This is very similar to "RPM Hell", for those stuck in Redhat
environments.

> There are two approaches to address this problem.
>
> One approach is to "pin" one repository to take precedence over another
> repository. If a package is found in each, the higher weighted
> repository's package will be installed.
>
> I've found that approach to be cumbersome and confusing, even for
> advanced users and administrators.
>
> The other approach is to "backport" packages from one repository to
> another.
>
> This involves editing your debian/control and/or debian/rules file to
> work around any file collisions or broken dependencies, and then build
> the package with dpkg-buildpackage.
>
> The unfortunate side-effect of the latter approach is that you end up
> maintaining your own pseudo-debian variant.
>
> The latter approach is what I use for maintaining the NKS farm. Backport
> packages as you need to from newer debian (and ubuntu) source
> repositories, fixing dependencies and hacking them up rather horribly to
> fit in your custom distribution.

> [...]

It's not quite like RPM Hell...

I'm not surprised if the problem is indeed Automatix. If you ask ubotu
in freenode's #ubuntu, it will tell you:

" Automatix2 is a block of code which attempts to install some
software. When it fails and breaks systems, we don't provide
support for it. A creditable analysis from a debian/ubuntu
developer is here - http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html "

That link is especially interesting if you would like to see how
dangerous automatix can be.

For the most part the problem is that it works almost compeletely
outside of the package manager, alters libraries independent of apt,
etc., and makes changes to conf files that you won't even know about
unless you read the scripts.

I've also read that it's rather difficult to simply uninstall
automatix... So good luck :)

- --
Possum
http://possumism.net/