Re: [SLUG] choppy audio over IAX trunk in Asterisk

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 16:43:49 EDT

On Friday 26 October 2007, Chris Mathey wrote:
> Hi,
> I believe we have some other Asterisk users here so I figured I would
> post this.
> I have an IAX trunk between 2 Asterisk servers, I'll call them A and B.
> Whenever there is a call placed over the trunk to connected stations the
> audio from B is always choppy\garbled. Audio from "A" is always clear
> from B's perspective.
>
> I've ruled out bandwidth\jitter\latency issues (SIP calls between A and
> B are fine.)
> Both Asterisk servers are also on dedicated underutilized hardware.
> Both Asterisk servers do not have zaptel hardware and load ztdummy for
> timing.
> Any suggestions ?
> Thanks!
> -Chris

Choppy & garbled indicates big lags in the network traffic. Basically lag over
something like 250ms starts becoming noticeable. Check TOS (type of service)
settings which can make a big difference. Network traffic can create these
lags where packets are not delivered in time, causing the sound to become
choppy and garbled.

If you pass through any router see if it supports TOS.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.