Re: [SLUG] Xen virtual (lol) nightmare

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 12:03:19 EST

Mike Branda wrote:

> Has anybody here had any experience with Xen? I subscribed to the
> xen-users list and have posted a few times and have gotten no responses.

Loads of experience. http://ian.blenke.com/xen

I'm usually sitting on the IRC #xen and ##xen channels helping people
out when they stumble in with questions.

> I'm trying to figure out how to get a raid controller working under
> Xen. I'm using openSuSE 10.3 and the included xen rpms for xend,
> the xen hypervisor and a xenpae precompiled (Dom0? DomU?) kernel. The
> card uses megaraid_mm and megaraid_mbox modules under the normal
> running kernel and works fine but will not show up when rebooting with
> the xen hypervisor. I've tried to modify a few things in the xen
> source then do a rebuild on the rpm spec. The rpm build goes o.k. but
> with no joy for the raid card.

Your Dom0 kernel is responsible for talking to your hardware.

It is possible to use the same -xen kernel for both Dom0 and DomU if it
was built that way. In fact, that's now the default.

If you're uber paranoid about security (or memory footprint), you can
always use independant -xen0 and -xenu kernels, one built with
privileged support, the other not. The hypervisor only gives privileged
access to dom0 by default anyway.

When you run "lspci" (or "cat /proc/pci") do you see the megaraid card
while booted under the hypervisor?

Realize that the kernel you installed with is a _different_ kernel (and
has different kernel modules) than the Xen Dom0 kernel you are booting
with that can't see your megaraid controller.

My guess here is that your Xen dom0 kernel does not have the
/lib/modules for megaraid.

> Anybody goof around with this thing yet?

More than goof. Live it. Breathe it.

 - Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>