Re: [SLUG] Net Hardware questions

From: Doc - KD4E (e.net@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 19:16:46 EDT

> Your network settings will be in /etc/network/interfaces

Scott:

I need to kibbitz here a bit, if that is OK?

Other than the "do not edit" generic settings, e.g. "auto lo",
what should be in /etc/network/interfaces re. a pcmcia nic?

> Your loaded modules can be seen with /sbin/lsmod

Mine says:

parport_probe 3616 0 (autoclean)
parport_pc 7520 1 (autoclean)
lp 6200 0 (autoclean) (unused)
parport 7968 1 (autoclean) (parport_probe parport_pc lp)
mousedev 3760 0 (unused)
sr_mod 17160 0 (autoclean) (unused)
cdrom 28628 0 (autoclean) (sr_mod)
isofs 18200 0 (autoclean) (unused)
pcmcia_core 44832 0

What is this telling me about pcmcia, please?

> The modules to load at boot up are in /etc/modules

cdrom.o
pcmcia-cs.o
pcmcia_core

> If a module needs things listed such as io ports, an irq, etc. it should
be in a
> small file in /etc/modutils

0keep, actions, aliases, arch, paths, ppp, setserial

For my pcmcia nic card I edited /etc/pcmcia/config to read:

card "TP/BNC LAN Card Ver. 2a"
   version "3C589", "TP/BNC LAN Card Ver. 2a", "000002"
   manfid 0x0101
   bind "3c589_cs"

Should there also be something in /etc/modutils for my card?

> In Debian, you run update-modules to change the modules.conf file, using
the
> setup files created above
> scott

Are there changes i could make in anything you discussed above to cause
pcmcia to start working with my 3C589 nic?

Thanks! Doc